Tuesday, July 21, 2009

To Peak or not to Peak






Its a seemingly general rule that to run a marathon or any distance event you at least need to be able to run said distance in a week. Now, to do it well you usually need to be able to run further than the required distance. Now getting to fifty miles a week for me is quite doable. I am already in the mid thirties now with a little under two months until race day. I am set up to hit peak mileage the week perhaps two weeks before race day. That's doing fifty miles a week. This will allow me plenty of time to taper and get primed up mentally and of course work out any kinks with equipment, supplements etc.

Should I even ponder the thought of upping my mileage to possibly have a faster less suffering run? HELL NO!!!!!! The goal for me as it has been since I first stumbled upon this race has been to simply finish the race. I do not need a special time. I am not qualifying for Boston. I just have a need to finish. I want to prove to myself that I am more than I was on December 27th, 2008. Stronger, smarter, more resilient. A better man and a better person. Simple. Run, walk, crawl fifty miles in one day.

By the way I booked the cottage for our stay at the race.


No comments:

Post a Comment