Tuesday, July 14, 2009

No Fear

I am certain everyone has seen these window/bumper stickers all over the place. It has taken on my own personal meaning with my little 50 mile quest. As I have mentioned its much easier to take on certain things when you don't know what its actually like. Blissful ignorance.

I was reminded of another important facet of long quests while watching Expedition Africa. A lovely little show on the history channel. Anyway, as the expedition neared the town of Ujiji where Stanley found Livingston they were reminded by mother nature and their own intuition to never fixate on the end while you're still in the midst of it. Its hard not to of course but its vital to not loose your composure and concentration. It can result in tragic results. I have experienced in few races where things seemed to be going well and then all of  a sudden blammo the fecal storm blows in from the fan.

So, I train with no fear and yet keep a healthy respect for it all nestled in the back of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment