Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Disaster Averted



A bit dramatic yes but hell yeah its true. After my midweek eight mile run last week, I had a distinct and dastardly (I have been trying to work this word into everything I can...unsuccessfully) pain on the front of my ankle right near my Talus (see the diagram). The strange part was that the pain was not consistent with a certain movement. The pain only came when I had my running shoes on. Horrible thought that my lifeline to reality, my running shoes, were hurting me.

I did some icing, some reading, and a few tests. Most people are creatures of habit and I am no exception. When it comes to running I buy the same shoes, I usually run the same trails or streets adding or subtracting length and of course I even tie my shoes the same way. At least I used to. For all these many years I laced up all the way to the second lace to the top. With my newest couple of pairs of shoes I decided to use the lace locking of doubling the lace back on itself. This of course meant the laces were up to the top and thus irritating my ankle. Took me a few days to figure it out but simply going back to the old way averted disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment