Thursday, July 16, 2009

I Know Why He Does It And You Do Too

 If any of you have ever done anything in your life that not only inspired other people but inspired yourself you totally understand why Lance Armstrong un-retired and is attempting to win his eighth Tour de France. There has been much ado over his return and whether its "right" or not. This is of course by every sport related magazine, television show , radio feed or web/podcast.

I have heard countless people (myself included) say him coming back and not winning will tarnish his image. Then I stopped a few days ago and re-examined myself and what I am in the midst of doing. I am going from a regular marathoner to an ultramarathoner to challenge and inspire myself. If anyone along the way gets the fever to even run a few miles a week its icing on my cake.

Now with Lance he has conquered cancer, and the Tour (multiple times) and then seemingly was going to fade into spokesman/advocate mode. Not a bad gig but I bet he feels like the best way to lead is by example. Whether he wins the race or not he inspires countless people around the world who are battling cancer. That was and still is his goal.

Should any of us speak a harsh word against it? He's not hurting anyone not even himself. Not a single reporter that I have heard ever stopped to mention that maybe, just maybe he's riding again because he loves it and that's what he's good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment