Friday, May 1, 2009

The Birds and the Bees, But Mostly Birds

Today was the first day since way, way, way back in September of 2008 that I was able to get up and run in the morning. I have been a morning runner ever since my good Joe and I used to run getting ready for soccer season. Back then it was more a lot of laughing and funny stories. As the years progressed and I ran during and after college my runs became more solitary. One, not many people are into getting up as early as I do, and two most people are into getting up as early as I do.

The first of many alarms for us goes off at about 4:15 a.m. When I am totally immersed in training I am up like a shot with this alarm. I am usually stepping out of the door about 4:30 a.m. Needless to say I am not totally immersed yet. Nevertheless I did get up today and was out the door right around 5 a.m. (more respectable to most people).

To be such a small thing, getting up early and running, it was amazing. I had forgotten how peaceful it is out there alone. Sun coming up, deer and squirrels  running everywhere. Birds singing everywhere. Its like snow white in the forest so to speak. I have found that I have and can solve more problems early in the morning, alone, sweating with nothing but the sound of my heart beating and the natural world around me, than any other time.

I would advise everyone to try it. The getting up is the hardest part, but seeing the sun come up almost everyday of the year is so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment