Monday, May 18, 2009

Out of the Gates Fast

Michelle and I had  productive but tiring weekend. We finished the caps for the infamous wall, cutting them that is. It was awesome working with a wet saw. A monstrous 14" blade that kicked water until I looked like I had taken a shower in my clothes. It was a long day and as strong as I was, working on the wall before, I was equally as weak over the weekend. I forgot how heavy those blocks are.

Needless to say I was whipped. I thought this morning was going to be a tough run. I was upping the mileage from 4-5 miles on my way to a ten mile basic run. I had also convinced Michelle to get up 15-20 minutes earlier than she normally would have which makes me run faster than usual. I worry when we are out early in the darkness and I run ahead of her. There are crazy people out there. Anyway, I took off fast, which is not good for anything except speedwork. I felt good for the first three miles or so and then..the heavy legs. Not fun at all. I felt the whole scene slow down. It immediately felt hard and I liked it. It allowed me settle myself down and work through it. It may see like running is a mindless let your body "get to it" kinda activity. In reality its very cerebral. The farther you go the more it becomes more about your mind and not your body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment