Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Getting Your Ass Kicked By Friends




Is there anything like getting your ass kicked? I know I know very few of us walking the planet have actually been in a fight we are a kinder gentler society if you look at the BIG picture. So taking that out of the picture what about the proverbial ass kicking? You know the exercise to the point of exhaustion or soreness ass kicking. Well I got one yesterday. My body is sore. I was not completely spent but I am sore in a few places that I haven't been sore, in years. Its good, its welcomed its appreciated.

I got the "ass kickin" from one of my oldest friends Joe Heslin. I hadn't seen him in 20 years and recently we found each other. So after months of debate (and recuperation by me) we planned out this weekend and Michelle and I went up to see Joe, Heidi and the little one Hana. It was as fun as I expected and more cathartic than I imagined. It felt really good and everyone (I hope) had a great weekend.

Joe over the past 20 years has been all over the world and has picked up one very impressive skill (not that he only picked up one skill) mountain biking. He's very skilled. I am not. He took me on one of the best bike rides of my life. I loved it. The town is awesome and the trails are hard but not deadly...if you know what I mean. We rode for about 2.5 hours and I felt good. Only one spill due to some rocks and some thick boggy mud. Afterwards we relaxed and I felt good. After the three hour ride back to Nyack I got out of the car feeling like someone had kicked my ass. I knew the reason and all I could was smile.

You know you've done something when you're tired and sore. It might not seem like something to appreciate but if you plan on running 50 miles (i do, I do) you quickly learn the mantra "you can sweat now or bleed later". I prefer the sweat.

Thanks Joe.
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Michael. It was great seeing you and Michelle. We gotta do it again soon. By the way, I had no idea that you spilled. I remember at one point thinking, "He's doing so well, maybe this is too easy for him" as I was sucking wind trying to get my ginormous gut up the hills. Good to know I wasn't alone in the suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, can I post my website here? whybrattleboro.com... info and opinion. And snarkiness

    ReplyDelete