Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Oh My Aching Back...I Mean Neck


Well, the road bike has finally made a new appearance. I ride a Specialized Allez. Blue. Its quite nice and has served me well through good rides and bad wrecks. Of course none of my wrecks have been close to what my friend Joe has gone through but of course I never want to compete on the pain and agony scale. Anyway I took the road bike out for the first time since last year before the ankle/knee...before the wall, before the bacterial infection. It was quite eye opening.

Its not like I haven't been riding. We have a trainer in the basement. The problem with that is Michelle does not like the clip pedals so we go old school inside. That being the case we attach her bike which is a hybrid. Nice ride but totally different than a road bike. So for the past few months since I got off the I.V. I have been riding down in the basement. It was good to get my legs back up to speed before beginning running. I thought my legs were in pretty good shape for riding. Indeed they were. The problem was/is my neck muscles are very, very, very weak. Leaning out and over the bars on the road bike means you have to hold up your head. I guess I have a lot of rocks in my head because it felt like it weighed about 10 pounds more than it used to.

Oh well, one more tiny hurdle to overcome. The bike helps the run...without a doubt.

This is the newest version of my bike (in the wrong color of course).


No comments:

Post a Comment