Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Plan

Many moons ago (say about twenty) I got a request from my wife to help her prep for starting up the machinery i.e. the baby making machinery and of course getting ready for a trip to Mexico. So what did I do? I started looking for a unique way for her and of course by default me to get into better shape. I had of course worked out and ran for as long as I an remember. Like most people you reach plateaus. You either get bored or your body just isn't responding. I had heard (word on the street) from a few people in the climbing community and the publications therein whom I was kinda friendly with about a guy Mark Twight who was rippin' new @$$holes on some badasses. What was he doing? Muscle confusion. Simple idea. Don't let your muscles get used to the work out thus alleviating the plateau.

About the same time I stumbled upon an infamous infomercial for P90X. Same principle, not as intense as Mark Twight's workouts. Perfect for Michelle and pretty damn good for me. Bought it and lo and behold it worked. That crazy bastard Tony Horton along with the running and the biking and yoga worked like magic. I got into, almost, the best shape of my life. Michelle did likewise. I think she also got the racing bug as talk of marathons and half marathons started popping out of her mouth.

It worked but I always wondered could I hang with Twight and the Gym Jones crew. Right about this time a little film called 300 was preparing to come out. I saw the actors and strangely enough it came to light that Twight and Gym Jones was responsible them. Its funny how the results of pain and suffering can be so inspiring. Now I had no delusions about dropping everything and heading out to Utah to train to then train. But I could do what I saw and train like I was there. It wasn't brain surgery, it was simple hard work. Real work, real workouts, real sweat. So, the new plan just like the older plan running (more miles though) 50+ a week, biking 100+ a week (its a wonderful lunch), yoga five times a week and the icing on the cake 3 ass kicking workouts with two core supplements thrown in. This will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment