Monday, April 27, 2009

The Long & Winding Road

Technically its more straight and narrow. Very purpose driven. Running and training for running, is like a road out in Nevada that you can see down for five to ten miles and then it disappears in the distance but you know its still there and still going in the same direction. When you put yourself on a path to a goal the process seems at times a lot like being on a road like that. You know your starting point. You relatively know where you're going to end up and for the most part its a straight shot from now till then, but of course you never know what you will see along the way. I use the term 'see' very loosely since for me its both the ravaged carcass like last week or today a pulsing, pounding, puke inducing (almost) headache.

My intentions last night when Michelle and I turned in was to get a good 40+ winks and get up at my "normal" time of a little before 4:30 a.m. I was then going to put in a few miles. My hope was three, thus upping the ante from last week, and then workout in the gym and follow it up with some yoga. (I will go into my normal routine tomorrow and how it came to be what it was/is/will be.)

Needless to say the headache pissed on my campfire. No early morning run. A struggle through a half an hour on the bike and then an incomplete core workout. I would give another try to run about 11:30 a.m. having done as much work as I could stomach at the moment. Alas it was not meant to be. About two and one-half minutes in and it felt like someone was trying to pry my face off with the crowbar right behind my eye sockets.

I called my wife, deflated and was reminded of how far I need to travel to get back to being me because of how far the sickness took me away from that. We worked like dogs yesterday doing all the Spring flower planting stuff that had been postponed for weeks. It did not help that it was in the upper 80's low 90's in April in New York. Oh coal burning electric plants why do you torture us so. Anyway, after resigning myself to having a day shot I settled in to work and lo and behold it passed. The pain was gone, and I was out the door. Success.

No comments:

Post a Comment