Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is Someone Trying to Tell Me Something

Amazon.com came yesterday. I had been for warned of this. They were supposedly bearing a gift for me from my wife. Since I had undertaken this pseudo-herculean task, Michelle had decided to help me educate myself with a book. Quite thoughtful. I always play a little game when mail comes. Citing the fact that its a federal offense to open other people's mail.

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I--CRIMES
CHAPTER 83--POSTAL SERVICE
Sec. 1702. Obstruction of correspondence

Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post 
office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter 
or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized 
depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it 
has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to 
obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of 
another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be 
fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 778; Pub. L. 103-322, title XXXIII, 
Sec. 330016(1)(I), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)
Historical and Revision Notes
Based on title 18, U.S.C., 1940 ed., Sec. 317 (Mar. 4, 1909, ch. 
321, Sec. 194, 35 Stat. 1125; Feb. 25, 1925, ch. 318, 43 Stat. 977; Aug. 
26, 1935, ch. 693, 49 Stat. 867; Aug. 7, 1939, ch. 557, 53 Stat. 1256).
Section 317 of said title 18, U.S.C., 1940 ed., was incorporated in 
this and section 1708 of this title.
Minor changes were made in phraseology.
Amendments
1994--Pub. L. 103-322 substituted ``fined under this title'' for ``fined not more than $2,000''.
From the U.S. Code Online via GPO Access
[www.gpoaccess.gov]
[Laws in effect as of January 3, 2007]
[CITE: 18USC1703]


Anyway, the package was addressed to her and so I waited until she got home for her to open it. She had a lot of books herself but she handed me a single book. I did not pay too much attention to it at first other than it was an ultrarunning book on Scott Jurek one of the greats of the sport. Michelle was working a bit and I decided let me take a gander at this book. It was titled, "Extreme Sports: Ultra Running with Scott Jurek" a Robbie Reader book.

I opened it up and went at it. Hmmmmmmmmm. 14pt type. Big, big pictures. Phonetic spelling of words. This is a children's book. All 32 pages and the glossary. It was a good read and fast. I learned a few things about Scott I had not known like he's a physical therapist which was inspired by his mother's multiple sclerosis and also that he's a vegan. That Robbie Reader knows how to cut to the chase.

Is she trying to tell me something?




1 comment: