Sunday, September 27, 2009

The 'Ol Up Down

is of course not to be confused with the "Ol In Out" from "A Clockwork Orange." Thank you Roddy McDowell. As is common throughout training hydration is important. I had been a 1.5-2 litre minimum of liquids daily throughout training. The day/night before the race since we were traveling and shopping and picking up the number and checking out the aid stations I really was not sure how much water I had consumed. I felt that I was lacking so...in an effort to make up the difference I decided to polish off a litre of water from the time we arrived back at the cottage to the bedtime.

This was smart in one sense since it was highly unlikely that I would be peeing much during the race because most of my moisture would sweat out and be evaporated off my skin. You really need to maintain a good level of fluids before during and after the race (during being most important). So while we filmed the interview etc. I was steadily drinking, and drinking and drinking.

When we finally retired preparing for the 3:30 alarms about 6 hours away I was prepared to get a so, so sleep. When you travel for races its rare to get a good night sleep the night right before the race. Most racers and race directors will tell you the night before the night is key. My night before the night was pretty good. The night before however was a series of trip back and forth to the bathroom, countless position changes and of course going from hot to cold and then to hot again. It was a long night for me, Michelle and I think even Alex and Elizabeth. I think I got about two ad a half hours of sleep and that may just be being generous. It was the shortest and longest nights sleeps I have had since the day my father died.

Thankfully I would not pay for it the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment